So I got my Games and Gears kickstarter brushes in today. I believe they are Kolinsky sable double headed brushes (you can brush with either end, I guess it’s for wet blending?) They look nice, they are longer than the brushes I’m used to using. I’ll post up some pics and initial thoughts in the near future. Also, if anybody else has a serious interest in them (or providing a better review because they know what they are talking about) I can bring some up to the GT for you to play with.
Okay, so seriously, I think the photos of these look better than the actual models in person. Obviously, we can’t let Jon’s awesome WIP scratch built waystones stay at the top of the main page for more than an hour! So, here’s my first 5 warriors done to what I’m hoping for the base standard for the new army. I’ll touch them up later. This hasn’t been varnished yet, we’ll see how it looks after that.
Here’s my WIP first five warriors. I’ve started a blog in the forum painting section. I’ll be posting the majority of my pics there but I’ll be putting some highlights on the front page. I’m really happy with how these are coming along. I think I’m going to go with shields, just debating the colors. Maybe the black of the leather/fur with gold on the symbols on the shields? Gotta paint a test! I may not push beyond this level of detail much just to get the army on the table and then go back and touch up the horns/bone and cloaks.
So in continuing to try and finalize a color scheme for my warriors I’m playing around with a lot of the new paints including the glazes. There’s a post on the forums showing some Chaos Warriors that I based/highlighted (excuse my feeble first attempts at highlighting!) orange and then glazed with either the yellow or orange glaze. Now I’ve gone and painted the cloak blue, highlighted it up a bit, drybrushed the fur and then put a blue glaze over. If I get these photos up in the right order you’ll see the front before and after the glaze then the back before and after. I’m not sure how well the differences will show in these pictures but there is a real difference in person. Enjoy.
So shockingly enough, I think my new materials may work the best. Flexible, lightweight, these guys aren't flocked or sanded right now. I'll try to sand the rest of them as I continue building. Should have enough for the march tourney if they are needed. BTW, these are made from plastic plates, caulk, paint, and water effects.
So these are my first two attempts at water features. Going to switch from wood glue to caulk which should allow me to build them up a little bit more and make them slope all the way out to the rim. Obviously, I haven't flocked these yet either. I need to buy some brown paint for the base, pick a color for the water etc.