A quick update as I try to wrap up my stuff for Bragging Rights this weekend. ETC requires warmachines be based on either a 60mm round or 50mm square base. My old metal dwarf BTs (thanks Toddy!) are based on 40mm square bases so this was clearly unacceptable. Ordered a set of 60mm bases from eBay and got to work. I was able to trim the BTs and the crew (older spearmen) off their respective bases with only minimal damage. I cleaned that up best I could, touched up some paint and threw them down on the new bases.
I really like the look of the warmachine and crew together on the same base. I think it really makes the model look cohesive.
Basic process for my basing is:
1. Apply large pebbles in a scattered/crazy/random fashion.
2. Apply fine sand to rest of base.
3. Basecoat with Baneblade brown. Basecoat rocks with Dawnstone.
4. Wash base with Agrax Earthshade.
5. Highlight back to Baneblade/Dawnstone.
6. Light highlight of screaming skull.
7. Apply tufts (can’t remember the exact ones but I think they are from scenic express).
Steps 1 through 7 basically bring you to here:
Generic apology time: I rushed through taking these pics so apologies for the messy background and shadowing.
So as you can see the bases look “OK” but that’s about it. The next couple of steps take literally seconds and make a big BIG difference.
8. Apply static grass in a pattern of your choosing (for this I used Army Painter Battlefields “Field Grass”).
9. Apply flock in a pattern of your choosing (again Army Painter, “Grass Green”).
The finished product:
Still a little bit of cleaning up to do, but for a somewhat new hobbyist such as myself, I think they look pretty decent.
Now to pray to the dice gods that they roll lots of hits this weekend.
Let me know what you all think!